Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 12:54:51 PM
Home Help Search Login Register Chat Logout
News: Guests need not register to take part in the Guest Lounge... you can ask anything anonymously there.
Guests can read, but not post in, most other forums.

+  World Of Prophecy
|-+  World of Prophecy
| |-+  Exposé - Where Satan's Best Tricks are Exposed
| | |-+  Biblical Prayer Vs. Contemplative/Spiritual Discipline - A Biblical Look
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biblical Prayer Vs. Contemplative/Spiritual Discipline - A Biblical Look  (Read 1630 times)
SoftTouch
Administrator
Daniel

« on: May 23, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »

Sis WWP had a Very Valid point in the "Spiritual Formation - Just Say No!" Thread; here's her post:

While I definitely agree with a lot of this, I am concerned about:

We are told that practices like solitude and silence are going to change us, even though the Bible does not prescribe them

Psalms 46:10
46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Zechariah 2:13
2:13 Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is raised up out of his holy habitation.

Habakkuk 2:20
2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

There also doesn't seem to be much differentiation between genuine meditation and the "mystic" stuff.

We are called to meditate on His Word ...

Joshua 1:8
1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalms 1:2
1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalms 49:3
49:3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.

Psalms 63:6
63:6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
(This seems to call for both silence and solitude ...)

I just wish they'd do a more substantive study and explain the differences between the mystic stuff and what the Lord calls for in His Word.

jma

I told her I would try to find something good and wrote to several Discernment Ministries.  I heard back from Pastor DeWaay:  Here

Today, I heard back from Ray Yungen via Lighthouse Trails Research Project on Sis WWP's question to provide more Biblical References when comparing Contemplative/Meditative Mystic Practices Vs. Biblical Prayer/Meditation:

Ray Yungen <ray@atimeofdeparting.com> wrote:
Hi Debbie,
Thank you for your email. May I recommend you read A Time of Departing? We would be happy to send you a complimentary copy. I think the book will answer your questions.

Deborah Dombrowski
Lighthouse Trails Publishing
www.lighthousetrails.com
www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com

I told her that I have read and Love the book, but  that I needed something I could link to on our message board; here's what she (Deborah) came up with and emailed these EXCELLENT LINKS to me:

CONTEMPLATIVE PRAYER VS BIBLICAL PRAYER

Contemplative Prayer: Seducing Spirits and a Doctrine of Devils

This is EXCELLENT INFO in the above!!! Completely Backed Up By Scripture!

The below explains what Mystical Eastern New Age Occult Meditation is pretty well]:

Mantra Meditation
by Ray Yungen
from A Time of Departing (you can order this affordable paperback at this blue link)

I decided to make this it's own Thread as this is Important Info!

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.   Luke 21:36
Daisy
Daniel

the Kingdom of Heaven is like...

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »

thumbs up

Excellent article and a great reference for us all!

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty
Looking for that blessed hope,
                            and the glorious appearing of the great God
                                                             and our Saviour Jesus Christ Tit 2:13
Chipper
Elder
Global Moderator
Daniel

"For God so loved the World, that he gave....."

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:18:12 AM »

good find Soft touch, very informative reading...

Great is Thy faithfulness O God my father. There is no shadow of turning with Thee.  Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not. As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be... GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS.!
SoftTouch
Administrator
Daniel

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »

good find Soft touch, very informative reading...

Well... I really didn't 'find' it, Deborah Dombrowski from Lighthouse Trails Publishing sent me the link after I asked where I could find such an article, so I can't take credit for 'finding' it Wink

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.   Luke 21:36
Daisy
Daniel

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »

Pastor Ken Silva of Apprising Ministries has written an excellent article on Contemplative prayer and a budding organization know as "Contemplative Outreach"

WONDER WHAT HAPPENS IN CONTEMPLATIVE/CENTERING PRAYER?

The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12)

The Truth About Human Nature

Apprising Ministries continues warning of the growing apostasy of sinful ecumenicism advanced by those supportive of a form of meditation in an altered state of consciousness known as Contemplative/Centering Prayer (CCP). This so-called prayer happens to be the crown jewel of  Contemplative Spirituality/Mysticism (CSM), which is actually a romaticized version of neo-Gnostic Roman Catholic mysticism.

This CSM was unloaded into Young Adult and Youth ministries within mainstream evangelicalism by the neo-liberal cult of the Emerging Church and then promulgated under the guise of so-called Spiritual Formation e.g. that taught by Living Spiritual Teacher and Quaker mystic Richard Foster, with his spiritual twin and Southern Baptist minister Dallas Willard along to give this asceticism-lite neo-Pietism a thin veneer of scholastic respectability

Now I point you to something called Contemplative Outreach (CO):

Contemplative Outreach is a spiritual network of individuals and small faith communities committed to living the contemplative dimension of the Gospel. The common desire for Divine transformation, primarily expressed through a commitment to a daily Centering Prayer practice, unites our international, interdenominational community.

Today, Contemplative Outreach annually serves over 40,000 people; supports over 120 active contemplative chapters in 39 countries; supports over 800 prayer groups; teaches over 15,000 people the practice of Centering Prayer and other contemplative practices through locally-hosted workshops; and provides training and resources to local chapters and volunteers. We also publish and distribute the wisdom teachings of Fr. Thomas Keating and other resources that support the contemplative life. (Online source)
(entire article at link)

Pastor Silva also has a video up showing this practice.

Daisy
Daniel

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »

Here is the next part of the Silva article. It was just to important not to post it!

Did you catch that; in addition to “purification of the unconscious,” i.e. this clearly is done an altered state of consciousness, we receive “affirmation of our basic goodness.” That’s a denial of the doctrine of original sin in favor of the CSM derived nonsense of some alleged “true self”; but here’s the problem, we don’t have any “basic goodness” according to Jesus.

Concerning Noah and his family’s post-flood sacrifice He assured us:

And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.” (Genesis 8:21)

Notice carefully man’s heart is evil; this is the same thing Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 7:11 while discussing the subject of gifts and why they can trust God the Father in prayer — “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”

Because of the fall, even in our regenerated state, we are corrupt in things pertaining to God; and as such — We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away (Isaiah 64:6). The Lord also tells us through His inspired Apostle Paul:

For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin. (Romans 7:18-25)

There’s no way whatsoever that these Scripture-denying contemplatives like Thomas Keating et al could hold Paul’s sandals when it comes to faith and the pursuit of the holiness of God; and yet, look at his struggle with the sinful nature every one of us who are Christians will always have to battle this side of Heaven. Yes, transformation begins here; but it’s perfected at the last trumpet (1 Corinthians 15:52).

And so, we remain grateful for the Gospel of repentance for the forgiveness of sins in Jesus’ Name. What I’ve showed you is the Truth about human nature from God’s Word in the Bible; and if you, for whatever reason, don’t love the Truth then you are in danger of being found in our opening text. Please repent, and believe the Good News:

because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:9-13)

Bless you Pastor Silva and thanks for this important work.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Home Help Search Login Register Chat Logout